13.6.11

Caution

 
Hazel May DeGroff Jordan
The most current research I have attempted is on my dad's grandmother's family.  As a child I can remember a picture that I would always inquire about at my grandmother's house.  In this picture was two men and a woman on horseback.  My grandmother, Hazel May DeGroff Jordan, would tell me that those were her relatives that were Potowatomie Indians.  Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away over twelve years ago and with her the story behind this particular picture disappeared forever.  



When I picked up my research after a pretty long hiatus, my main purpose was to identify the Native Americans, especially the Potowatomies, in my dad's family.  I searched for any piece of information I could find in regards to my grandmother's mother, Minnie.  I wrote my aunt and uncle, spoke with my dad's cousin, and searched through anything I or my dad might have that could help me.  Somewhere in the midst of all my childhood papers, that my mom had kept in a box, was a torn out piece of journal paper.  On the piece of paper was a family tree of my dad's side of the family that my mom had jotted down while we were visiting my grandparents in Rochester one summer.  One of the notes mention that Minnie's parents were Henry and Catherina Gimble.  I immediately began piecing my great-grandmother's family together.  Unfortunately, in a census, I found Minnie's "parents" and her brother, but it listed her brother as a step-son.  So although my mother had listed Henry Gimble as my great-great-grandfather, it appears as though he was only a step-father.  

Charles Roy Jordan, Sr.; Hazel M. D. Jordan,
Sigrid A. Hagerstrand Jordan; Jessica (me) A. J. Warner
and Kerry N. J. Harville

So currently, I am still cautiously searching for Minnie, and her biological birth name, and any information I can possibly find about the Gimbles, especially Catherina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights!