8.1.12

Difficult Searches

Sometimes I find myself becoming frustrated because I can't identify information on my relatives.  Over the past two months I have been taking a hiatus from my constant detective work because I have been working on my dissertation for my doctoral program. Not realizing it at the time, it has turned into a blessing in disguise. 

Yesterday I picked up my "Genealogy" binder that has been sitting on the floor next to the computer for the past few months to put it up, while I was cleaning the computer area.  Needless to say that was at noon, and the binder never found its way back to the bookcase.  Instead I opened it and began exploring my dad's difficult side of the family tree.  Inspired by the FamilySearch.org site I used in September, I miraculously found my great grandparents' and great-great grandparents' marriage licenses!  What GEMS!!!!  Although I still have my doubts that Henry Gimble (Gimbel) is not my biological great-great grandfather due to a census that list my great grandmother as his step-daught, it is definitely a start.

Clint O'Bannon- my genealogy mentor

So beginning around noon yesterday I started sifting through Ohio, Iowa and New York records for any signs of the DeGroffs and Gimbles.  While researching I was reminded of how blessed I am to have the opportunity to research from the comfort of my own home, so much so, I was still at the computer at 8pm.  As a teenager my step-grandfather took me to the local Church of Latter-Day Saints to start my research.  Who would have thought fifteen years later I would have the access I have so many documents without trekking across town to find them!

So the moral of the story is to sometimes put your stuff down or work on something that is more apparent and then the more hidden gems will become evident! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights!